Healthy Homemade Oatmeal Muffins
If you’re anything like me, I often struggle to get out of bed. This usually means that by the time I’m fully awake, I have little time to decide what to have for breakfast and often wished that I had something delicious and filling to just grab and go. After looking around the internet, I’ve decided to adapt what I’ve found to make my own version of healthy oatmeal muffins. This recipe makes 12 muffins depending on the size of your muffin trays.
- Muffin trays
- Mixing bowl
- Measuring cups
- 2 ripe bananas
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp of Vanilla Essence
- 1½ cups of Milk (or Milk substitutes)
- ¼ cup of Honey (Sugar, Maple syrup or Agave Syrup can be used)
- 3 cups of Rolled Oats
- Pinch of Baking Powder
- Butter for greasing muffin tins
- 1 tbsp of Flax seeds
- 1 tbsp of Chia seeds
- Any Nut Butter (I used peanut butter)
- Dark chocolate
1. Preheat the oven to 350ºF or 180ºC.
2. Peel the bananas and add them to the mixing bowl. Mash until smooth.
3. Crack in the eggs and mix thoroughly until well combined.
4. Add the rest of the wet ingredients including milk, vanilla essence and honey and mix well.
5. Add the rolled oats and baking soda and stir through with the fork.
6. Add the flax and chia seeds if using. Mix well.
7. Grease the muffin trays well with butter to avoid sticking. Pour and distribute the batter evenly in the trays.
8. Add toppings of choice. I added cinnamon and apples to make an apple pie flavoured muffin, dark chocolate and peanut butter for a Reese’s peanut butter cups taste and kept it simple with just dark chocolate.
9. Bake in the oven for 30 minutes. Once done, let it cool for at least 5 minutes.
When the muffins have cooled, you can eat them immediately or store them in freezer-safe, air tight containers for later use. If frozen, these muffins can be easily reheated in the microwave and are perfectly convenient to grab with you for work or school. These muffins were just the right amount of sweetness for me and actually filled me up until at least halfway through the morning before I need a snack. Plus the toppings are completely customisable to your preferences. If you decide to try these out, let me know your thoughts!